Thursday, May 20, 2010

Critique

When planning this exercise, I thought about the things that remind me of China, the birthplace of Acupuncture. Bamboo, Yin Yang, Butterflies, Lotus flowers, Cherry Blossom, then I researched these different words (also looking for pictures that I my be able to use for a logo), I also looked up different logos for acupuncture to see what other people had come up with.

Although initially I wanted to use some of the ideas that had been used before with modifications, I decided to come up with my own ideas of using cherry blossom because it circles back to Yin Yang and the circle of life which includes nature.

I found two images of cherry blossom that I really liked and with these images I then tried to pick a type font that would harmonise with the blossom. I tried using only two fonts instead of using more and I tried to carry this throughout the whole body of work. One of the images was very feminine and full and the other less so.

Critique

The work that I produced had a simple feel to it (keeping the old adage of Keep It Simple Stupid), I didn't use any complex shapes, or a lot of colour throughout until the brochure which was a complete failure and poorly thought out. The logo with the full cherry blossom was used and was thought to be too feminine, because not everybody who attends acupuncturists are female so I needed to think more about the target market for this body of work.

Business Card: Instead of using a script font for the Acupuncturists' name it needed to be bold and in a stronger type font. The spacing needed to be consistent throughout and the second lot of cherry blossom removed from the bottom of the card.

Bookmark: The bookmark was good but the cherry blossom down the bottom of the bookmark needed to be either single version and at the same angle as the cherry blossom in the logo. The other option was to remove the bottom cherry blossom all together and lower the address to the bottom of the bookmark.

Compliment slip: Once again remove the cherry blossom from the bottom of the slip, with compliments needs to be moved so that there is space for written message on slip. Adding the line to the bottom of the slip didn't tie in with any other product so it needed to be taken out. The address needed to be moved around and repositioned.

Letterhead: The letterhead was strong, the spacing just needed to checked that it was consistent throughout.

Brochure: Needs to be redone completely. It looked like the local desktop publisher gone berserk! It was not thought out, too much information and to many pictures and the colours of the pictures did not blend in with the overall appeal of the rest of the business stationary. Use brush script is definitely a no as there are much better typefaces available. The images need to be removed, reduce the amount of text and keep it clean and crisp like the rest of work. If using line drawings in the brochure, remove the colours and if colours are used keep them harmonising with the logo.

In using the other logo that I created, would mean that it meets more of the target market, it wont be so feminine and still retains that natural feel that I was after. The brochure needed more thought and to keep it crisp and clean. If I use the other logo remove the blue background and once again keep it clean and clear of adding other things that detract from the overall feel of the business stationary.


No comments:

Post a Comment